Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Creative Whrilwind"

I subscribe to 2 magazines that have to do with my industry of work. Interior Design and Dwell. I recieve my copies and do either one of two things: 1. put it in the to read pile 2. or open it immediatly because the cover has struck my fancy. (really this happens every time but there is just not enough time in the day especially since I like to have 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night.) My to read pile quickly grows, sadly. But TODAY, marvolous today, my Interior Design came: the cover was this:
Plant a Seed.....Ok!!!! Read on.....The article How Does Your Garden Grow? Home owner Joost Backer (florist, installation artist and lover of sustainable design) and architect Brendan Jones tell their tale of this sustainable design home(of course, that's what all the kids on my side of the world/industry are doing) and it's "Creative Whirlwind". Side note: Joost is now on the ongoing tab for boys names.

4 KEY points about this house/structure that I was in AW of the creative sustainability ideas are as follows:
1. Concrete slab foundation insulated by straw. Straw you say? That's right densely packed and they say has better Australia's energy-efficiency rating by 2 or 3 points. Side note: straw is also used for landscaping purposes so that plants were protected from freezing.

2. The facade of the house is screened by rows of terra cotta flowerpots-11,000 of those little pots. And in the summer bloom strawberries. sidenote: strawberries are good

3. The overall concept of this villa was obviously floral sustainability and that was even achieved in the materials selected for decor. Cabinetry, shelving, beds, and doors once used to crate mining equipment. Phew....That's just awesome. You could see the branding marks and stenciled numbers all over these now functional pieces in this home.

4. And lastly FELT! I love Felt. Remember in Sunday school when the teachers would have those felt boards and felt props to add as they told the story. Yeah....They used felt as curtains. (be still my heart)

End result: I want to live in Australia and wake up to strawberries all around me. Does this really exist? and where can my dream house begin? Go ahead read the article, it's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment